Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Place Value Charts

I had to make place value charts as part of a math resource kit in college--maybe you have made similar ones. I use them mostly in tutoring or small group with my students. My kids really enjoyed using them (they thought they were the coolest)! They are really easy to make! All you need is a long-arm stapler, scissors, a file folder and a piece of cardstock or a laminated piece of paper (you will want the digit cards to be durable!).

Here are the small ones. (You may not be able to tell from the pictures but each section has a staple separating it from its neighbors; that way, the digit cards have a snug little place to fit in.)

My charts go up to the millions since I teach 4th grade.

This type includes decimals...

...though I fold it to cover up the sections we do not go over.


I keep spare digit cards in a baggie in the tubs that I store the charts in. As you can see in the picture, each card has a digit 1-9 and a zero written on the opposite end.

This is where I keep them!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I love this. I think I'll definitely make these for the fall. Thanks for sharing!

    Magnificent Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cool! I'm going to make them for calendar time for next year! Thanks for sharing :)

    Hadar
    Miss Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous idea...I need to make some for my small groups!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I am definitely making these. :-)

    misst4th.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the idea! I love it and will be making these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fantastic! How do you use these in your small groups? I was thinking building larger whole numbers and possibly even rounding. Are there other ways that you use these?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids and I have enjoyed your place value items! I've bought them all! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete