Saturday, April 27, 2013

Sight Word SWAT!

I'm stopping by this evening to show you a super fun game we played yesterday--Sight Word SWAT!! I apologize in advance for the lack of more detailed pictures but I was caught up in all of the excitement going on!

I found myself with a small group of hard workers (half of my class was at computer lab), 20 minutes, and warm weather yesterday, so we headed out to our porch for a little springtime game that I have been wanting to play. We use Saxon Phonics and with it comes sight word cards. I distributed several cards to each student and had them read the words and write them on the sidewalk (which was fun enough for them). They were instructed to write them big enough to be seen and in their neatest handwriting.


At this point, they had no idea what would happen next and didn't even question why I was holding a small tub full of flyswatters (shows how normal it is for me to be holding something odd, haha). The game was simple--I called up 2 students at a time and called out a sight word. They had to race to find the word and then SWAT it!

 The first one to swat the word won the round and got to stay in while the other student had to sit back down. A new student took his place and we did it again! To say they had a blast would be an UNDERSTATEMENT! I couldn't even take many pictures because I was so involved in how involved they were!

When we finally went back inside they had SO many questions!:
"Did you make up that game???!"
"Did you play that game with your 4th graders???!"
"Are we going to play that again???!"
"When are we going to play that again???!"


Love it. Walmart has super cute swatters out for $1 right now! I bought 10 new ones last weekend. Pics to come.

This game can be used for sight words, math facts, number recognition, shapes, etc. Give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. What an adorable and cute game. I love it!!! I am going to go and check out Wal-Mart.

    ReplyDelete